Tuesday, December 18, 2012

ODBDSLC135 Snow or Snowflakes

My brother-in-law's wife passed away from cancer in March. It really surprised  me that I was the only family member to drop what they were doing, and come to her bedside. He had called me at 11am on a Saturday. I was on his front steps by midnight. I broke a few speed limits to get there as quickly as I could. He didn't think she would last the weekend... She did. :)

Tom and I worked the next day to move things around the house to make it easier for her to get around. For the most part, she was paralyzed. She couldn't smile properly for having so many small strokes.

I remember the night before she passed, she looked at me with a quisical look on her face and asked, "Why can't you have children??" She immediately was sorry for asking, I must have had a shocked look on my face. 

I swear she must have apologized for about a half hour. Kathy was the person who got me interested in paper crafts. She and I did a lot of things together. We beaded, sewed, drew, and any other thing remotely creative. We did it together despite being hundreds of miles apart. She made me promise to make a couple of floral arrangements for her, since I did them better than she did :) Plus, she couldn't move very well.
The next morning, I asked my niece how she was doing. She told me that Kathy kept having small strokes and that she wasn't coherent. The nurse was there keeping a close eye on her so I went to shower. 
Jennifer knocked on the door as I was finishing up. Kathy had passed away.

I miss her so much.

Her husband, Tom, wrote a beautiful letter that made me cry. This is his first Christmas without Kathy. She was really the love of his life. He said to me that I am more of a sister to him, rather than an in-law. I approve whole heartedly. He's more a brother than an in-law. I gave him a lot of advise, listened when needed, cried with him, and was just there for him whenever he needed. We've become rather close this year. I really worry about him, he's all alone now. He says he's doing ok though......

I love you Tom! This one's for you.

Lauri McCloud




Entered into -ODBDSLC135 Snow or Snowflakes

2 comments:

  1. I am very sorry for the pain your family has gone through. It must have been very difficult.
    You made a wonderful card for your BIL. This is just beautiful. Love the pretty papers & colors, your design, and that sweet little image. Love the fun sparkle you added to it, too! Thank you for sharing this with us at Stamptacular Sunday Challenge. Hope to see you again next week! :^)
    Hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry about your sister-in-law and all the pain and heart-ache your family has gone through!!Your card is very cute and I am sure your brother-in-law will love it!!Thanks for joining us at ODBD Shining the Light challenge this week!!
    Hugs,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, we truly appreciate it!