Thursday, April 25, 2013

Our Daily Bread Designs Forum Bible Verse Thursday Challenge #78 - The Voice

Jesus said: “My sheep hear my voice; I know them, and they follow me.  I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish. No one can take them out of My Hand. 
~John 10:27-28 
  


One of the oldest Christian portrayals of Jesus is the image of the Good Shepherd — an image we all like. But very few of us here have ever seen a shepherd or even a flock of sheep. We get our image from pious pictures showing Jesus in pure white garments, cradling a snow-white, cute lamb in His arms or carrying it on His shoulders. But the reality of sheep and shepherds in Palestine during the time of Jesus was quite different. Sheep are dirty, foul-smelling animals and, as some say, the dumbest among all the four-legged animals. And yet, Jesus said, “My sheep hear my voice… and they follow me.”
 
Here, we may reflect on our reaction to the voice of Christ. We live in a world where, day after day, we hear many voices.  I wonder why so many listen to those voices and ignore the voice of the Good Shepherd who speaks through the Bible and through the teaching authority of the Church. Unfortunately, even inside the church there are voices that do not come from the Good Shepherd. For example, there are certain private messages allegedly received by self-proclaimed visionaries.

The word of Jesus about the shepherd whose voice the sheep know appeals to us to do everything possible to know the Word of God and the teachings of the Church — so well that we do not become frightened or confused by other voices. Let us never be put to shame by dumb sheep! The words of Jesus, our Good Shepherd, should fill us with joy and peace.

We all like Psalm 23: “The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.” It’s a beautiful prayer of total trust in the Lord, but do we live each day as if we really, fully trust the voice of the Lord and live as redeemed children of God?  Why is it that you often listen to other voices rather than that of the Good Shepherd?
 
Lord, You are my Shepherd and I hear Your voice every time I read or listen to the Gospels.  And yet, how often do I ignore Your voice! Guide me, Lord, that I may follow only Your voice!
  

~~~
Your challenge this week is to create a project using this scripture or another verse that reminds us to follow His voice.  When uploading your project,  please use keyword ODBDBVT78 and then hop over to Our Daily Bread Designs Forum and share it with us!

Blessings,
 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for your message and beautiful card, Cheryl! I really needed it today! We are bombarded today by so many outside voices....thanks for the reminder to focus on His! Blessings, Angie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, we truly appreciate it!