Monday, March 25, 2013

I Wanna Be in the LIGHT!

Hey bloggers, thanks for dropping by today!  As you know, I've been working on my first ever art journal, it's been an interesting and challenging experience so far.  Working with mixed media is a lot of fun but it's still so new to me that I find myself wondering mid-page if I should scratch it and start over.  Somehow I always manage to keep going and am usually pleased with at least some of the page, if not the entire thing, upon completion.

Today I have a page for you that I created for the Hymn & Scripture Challenge over at Triple the Scraps.  Patter has chosen Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing for this challenge.  Yay!!  A hymn I'm familiar with :)  Patter has an amazing write up on her blog about this wonderful hymn and it's author as well as a recording of it from Mark Schultz - one of my fave renditions of this hymn!

As I was reading through Patter's write up, I was particularly struck by one verse:

1 John 1:7 "But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin."

In the previous verses in this chapter, John talks about light and dark - contrasting between the two to show us that God is light.  Not only is God light, but a light so bright that no darkness can be present in Him.  In other words, God is all good, all perfect and all of His decisions are just.  Darkness is the opposite - or the absence of all these things.


This verse immediately brought to mind another song


In the Light - DC Talk



Then in verse 7, John tells us that we need to walk in the light to have fellowship with one another and with God.


What in the world is walking in the light?  Simply, walking in the light means we are in fellowship with the one who is the light.  Walking in the light is a relationship that you have with God. Notice something here though; it says that if we walk in the light… John does not say here to simply say we are walking in the light, or to sit in the light, He tells us if we walk in the light. Walking is important for us to be able to understand this verse because it means certain things that we need to know in this Christian life. For instance: walking is much harder than just talking about walking. I can sit and talk about walking, and can even talk the language of walking, but until I actually walk my words are cheap. It is when my feet back up what my mouth has been saying that it gains some value.

Here is my page for this challenge.  The lyrics for both songs are included on the page (the hymn is written on the hands).  I used some tissue paper printed with music for my base and the colors are done with several things - Ranger Distress Paint, Ranger Distress Ink, Gold Metallic Paint, several pens and markers, gesso...I particularly like how the gold shines on this one - like light coming through the darkness.


 Blessings,

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing that song that is full of such wonderful words.
    You have created a lovely piece of art. Is that a photo of your owns... very effective if it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl what a wonderful cover on the journal. I love this and the hand reaching. It is so powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very powerful image and message! I really like it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, we truly appreciate it!