Thursday, January 26, 2012

Bible Verse Thursday Challenge #13 - He Restores My Soul

God's Peace to you all today!  This week I have selected the 23rd Psalm for our challenge. 

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. 
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: 
He leadeth me beside the still waters. 
He restoreth my soul:
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness 
for His name's sake. 
Yea, though I walk through the valley of 
the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: 
for Thou art with me; 
Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me. 
Thou preparest a table before me 
in the presence of mine enemies; 
Thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 
Surely goodness and mercy shall fallow me all the days of my life; 
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Often called the Shepherd's Psalm or the Psalm of the Crook because it is about the Great Shepherd who keeps his flock with unerring devotion.

There is a book called Shepherd Psalm by FB Meyer that really breaks down this wonderful song.  This book is in public domain, so I will share an excerpt with you.  If you follow the link above, it will take you to the online version of the book.  The words are refreshing and helpful to anyone seeking encouragement.  I chose to focus on the line "He restoreth my soul" - here is Meyer's excerpt:


"These words are among the most precious in this priceless psalm. They speak to the experience of many children of God, who are deeply conscious of the need of the restoring grace of the Good Shepherd. If He were alone to be followed, and if His influences upon us were always instantly and wholly, obeyed, there would be no need of restoration. But we are not always susceptible and obedient to the heavenly leadings; we easily relapse into states of lethargy and indifference, and it is necessary that we should be restored."
...
"Oh, do not wait for days or weeks to elapse, ere you apply to Him for His restoring grace; but just as you are, dare to trust Him to do it now. While the throb of passion is still beating high, and the deed of shame is recent, look up to Him, and claim forgiveness first, and in the same breath ask Him to put you back immediately in the very place which you occupied before you fell. And then, though as yet no answering joy thrills your heart, you will be able to exclaim, in the assurance of faith, "He restoreth my SOUL."

Your challenge this week is to use this scripture or another verse to create a project that reveals our Lord's restorative love.  When posting your project, please use keyword ODBDBVT13 and then stop by Our Daily Bread Designs Forum to share your work!


Supplies
Cardstock:  Bazzill - White, Espresso
Stamp:  Our Daily Bread Designs - Porch
Ink:  StazOn - Jet Black
Image:  This is a stock image from the web printed on photo paper

Blessings!





1 comment:

  1. What a sweet picture, Cheryl. Isn't it good to know we can snuggle up and rest in Jesus.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, we truly appreciate it!