Sunday, December 11, 2011

Tim Holtz 12 Tags of Christmas Day 11

Did you think I was going to miss this one?  A bit late getting to the tag today, but here it is.  Love, love, love the glass-looking embellishments I created for this one...I did it just a bit differently than Tim did - for his technique, click here.  To see Tim's inspirational day 11 tag and tutorial check out his blog.  (Hint:  If you don't know Tim, you MUST GO!)

Here's my tag - the info on how I did the glass-looking embellishments is below as well.



Supplies
Cardstock:  ANW Crestwood – White Gloss Paper
Stamps:  Stampers Anonymous – Tim Holtz- Letter to Santa
Inks, Stains and Paints:  Adirondack Alcohol Ink – Citrus, Stream, Mushroom; Ranger Distress Ink – Embossing Ink, Tea Dye, Fired Brick, Peeled Paint, Iced Spruce, Broken China, Faded Jeans, Chipped Sapphire; Adirondack Paint Dabber – Snow Cap
Accessories & Other Stuff:  Heavy Packaging Plastic (stuff that cling stamps came on); Hero Arts Gems; American Crafts Ribbon; Ranger Clear Embossing Powder, Glossy Accents

I don’t have shrink plastic or a melting pot, but I was able to create the glass-look embellies using a sheet of heavy acrylic packaging (one of my Our Daily Bread Designs stamp sets came on it and it is heavier than regular craft acrylic sheets).  First, I cut the shapes out of the plastic – they were not much bigger than my end result - and coated them with embossing ink and clear embossing powder on both sides.  Then I heated them with my heat tool til the embossing powder became clear and shiny.  In the process, the plastic did shrink and bend some though not as much as the shrink plastic would have.   I colored the plastic embellishments with alcohol inks just like Tim did with his shrink plastic ones.

Thanks for stopping by - see you tomorrow for the FINAL TAG!

2 comments:

  1. A beautiful tag - nice to see someone else reusing packaging - half the things I make used to be something else! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the Santa you used! I used plastic packaging too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, we truly appreciate it!